Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible to Install Win 98 Upgrade Version without WIN 3.1 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMG

Technical User
Aug 1, 2000
US
At one time I knew a trick that allowed me to copy just a couple of WIN 3.1 files to permit WIN 95 Upgrade to install. Is their a similiar trick I can use to reinstall my WIN 98 Upgrade Version without reinstalling Dos & Win 3.1 completely?

All you have to do is have the win3.1 installation disks handy. When it asks you to verify that you have a qualifying product, insert the disks. <p>Troy Williams B.Eng.<br><a href=mailto:fenris@hotmail.com>fenris@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I have an old computer. I formatted Win3.1 and all.. now I am unable to reinstall Win 3.1 without install the MS-DOS. I dont have the disks for that. I tried to install Win 95 and it didnt work. Help?

The Fact that you don't have the dos disks is the key you must have dos install for 3.1
How old of a computer do you have . Windows 95 will run on a 386 25mhz with 4mb ram. I wouldn't do this on such a slow computer but it can be done .
To install windows 95 you will need to install the cdrom drivers first unless your going through the painful way with floppys.
Any error messeges from the unsuccessful win95 install ????

when the program asks you for a product to authenticate that you have a windows product already, hit browse and point it back to the win95 folder on the cd itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back