Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible to insert multiple records with ONE insert?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sina

Technical User
Jan 2, 2001
CA
Hello everyone,

Is it possible to insert several records with one insert statement in Oracle 8i?

Basically instead of inserting every record with one insert in to table A, I wanted to know if I can write the insert statement in a way, so that I could insert multiple records with one insert.

i.e I have one million records that I have to insert everyso often. but it takes a long time with the insert per each record.

Thank you all.

No.

So if your records are in another table or in a flat file, you might want to look at subqueries or SQL*Loader.

...or use Pro*C or somesuch. You can code Pro*C to insert from an array of just about any size.

Are you inserting by reading from another table or from a data file?

From 8i onwards, you can also do array inserts in PL/SQL using the FORALL syntax.

Yes its absolutely possible to insert multiple records using a single INSERT statement. Try the following:

If you are trying to insert from another table/tables

INSERT INTO table1(field1, field2,....) (SELECT field1,field2,... FROM table2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back