Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible to import Users and Printers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monsores

Technical User
Mar 4, 2002
BR
Hi!
We have a Netware 5.1 server with many users and printers created. We need to upgrade our server, so it will be necessary to reinstall Netware on the new server.
Is it possible to import NDS components from the old server to the new one?

Thanks,
Marcelo

Download and use the NetWare 6.0 Migration Wizard. (Do a keyword search for migration on the download section on Novell's site.)

- Zych

Thanks for your response, but I think I explained what I need the wrong way. It´s only a hardware upgrade. We are installing Netware 5.1 again in a faster machine. Except for the hardware drivers the configuration will be exactly the same. What I need is to copy users, print-queues and configuration in general from the old server to the new one (still on Netware 5.1).

Thanks,
Marcelo

Hi, Marcelo.
You should look at a product from Portlock, Storage Manager

It allows you to image your server. You would then just have to pull the image down to the new hardware, change any drivers as necessary, and you're off to the races.

Just out of curiosity, this isn't the only server in the tree, is it?

------------
Bill
Consultant / Network Engineer
CNE, CCNA

The migration wizard will still allow you to migrate from nw5.1 on the old server to nw5.1 on the new server.
-TL

As lerdalt says it will work for you even if you are staying with the same revision of Netware. I used this for a client that did an exact same thing. My only challenge is that I did not install NDPS on the new system before the migration. This caused some headaches but nothing that could not be fixed. The best part is that it is free and works very well.

I will try the Migration Wizard at first because I would like to copy just the NDS Objects. I thought it would just work migrating from earlier versions to Netware 6.

If the server was 'perfect' the image would be the best choice, but there are many things installed that I don´t need anymore (Tobit Faxware, Netware Web and FTP Server, Service Packs, drivers, etc), then I prefer to Install just the necessary components and SP6, then copy just NDS Objects from the old server.

As Bill asked, we have only one Netware server in our network. We have also a Linux Server for Internet Services and ADS. Before this Linux Server, Internet Services were also done on the Netware Server.

Thanks again,
Marcelo

Hi,

Try use NWCONFIG - Directory option - Backup and restore

Jaro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back