Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible to import Excel files into ACT 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy74

IS-IT--Management
Nov 21, 2001
GB
As the title suggests. Is their anything to look out for? do I have to convert the excel files to database files.

Cheers

Jeremy

Not sure what you want to do. Do you want to attach an Excel document to an ACT contact, yes you can do that? What version are you running? If you are running 6.0 you can use the Libraries tab to make the Excel page have a direct link to the contact from Excel. You can work Excel and Word document s into Act several ways.

I use Excel extensively to take files from other formats to prepare for import to ACT! Just save the file in a delimited format (ACT! takes tab or comma) If you have a header record, just remember to look it up and delete it after import.

If you have any more specific questions about importing from Excel, let me know

swk

Hello everyone,

I just joned Tek-tips today while looking for answers to my ACT questions.

I am thinking about purchasing ACT 6.0 and wanted to know more about importing an Excel spreadsheet into ACT.
I would like to know if my personal column headings will appear inside ACT (once I figure out how to import it).

In other words, do I have to create an excel spreadsheet to exactly match the contact fields in ACT, OR will ACT create new fields based on the column heading in my excel file?

many thanks,
Andy

ACT! allows you to map the fields as you need to. Their appearance in the database is related to the position of the fields in the layout, which is separate from the database itself and is responsible for calling the fields from the database and displaying them where you want them.

Creating a database for the first time, you are probably better off looking at the fields you want to enter first and determining if there are already fields in the default database that will suit your needs. ACT! provides a number of different layouts to display your database as well.

I would suggest that you spend some time with the demo database, getting to know the program a bit before you dive headlong into rearranging it. It is NOT rocket science but you will be more productive, faster, with the help of a good book or a class. If you are needing to get things moving faster, there are ACT! Certified Consultants and Trainers availabel to assist.

As far as using Excel, you may prefer to use a header record to make the process of mapping easier. Yes, it will import, but it is a simle matter to delete it later.

If you are not familiar with ACT! this may seem a lot to consider, but belive me, the flexibility and ease of use is better than any other product I have tried. The time spent learning to use it properly is well spent.

swk

ACT! will allow you to map any field it can see, the form it takes depends upon how you have set p your database. There are about 150 default fields, including user defined. You have the ability to add a virtually unlimited number of fields (although I don't recommend that). If you use header identifiers, they may indeed be imported, if you do not tell ACT! to ignore the first record, however it is easy to remove later.

Start by identifying what fields you need and how you want them arranged. I suggest playing with the demo database to get a feel for how to accomplish this. You need to add or modify the fields you want first, then add them to the layout before you try to populate the database. Save the file you want to import as a delimited text file, .TXT or .CSV works, you can also use dBase format, but I have found the text to be more reliable.

There are classes on ACT! through a number of resources such as CompUSA or New Horizons. You may also want to investigate the services of an ACT! Certified Consultant (ACC) if you so not want to do the set up yourself. If it is more convenient for the questions you have, feel free to contact me directly at 972-756-9045.

swk

Hello Jeremy74,
If you are wanting to see the proper ACT! field names download the following document:
It is the ACT! Technical guide.
I have found that having my column headings in Excel be the same as the ACT! field names makes importing the data easier.

With regards to importing Excel data into ACT! follow this link:
If the above link does not work go to and look for this document:
Document Title: Importing Data from Other Programs into an ACT! Database
Document ID:20024894543

My experience has been that "tab-delimited" text files are the easiest to work with. When you are following the Import "Wizard" there is an "options" button to click on (I think it's step 2) click on it and remove the check mark from "import first record" (this ensures that you do not import Excel column headers as a contact)

Hope this helps,
Michael
ACT! user since version 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back