Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible to have both IE 6.0 and 5.5 on one PC? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

EugenePaliev

Programmer
Jul 18, 2001
UA
Hello people!

I have IE 5.5 but time says that I need to check my sites with IE 6.0 as well. I want to install IE 6.0 but also leave IE 5.5 on my PC.

Any suggestion are very appreciated!!!

Eugene

I also would be happy to hear from you any comments on IE 6.0 itself. I've heard a lot of terrible things from those who've installed it. Some people even had to fromat the disk and re-install the whole system >:-<

Eugene

I don't think u can run both on one machine (unless u run a dual boot).

as for ie 6 the beta release was a little on the buggy side but I haven't had many problems with it.

Cookies are handeled differently. U can specify what sites are alowed to use cookies.

Manic
-----------------------------
I've broken it again !!
-----------------------------
lee.gale@virgin.net

Greetings Eugene:

Yes, it is possible to have both. In fact, if you are programming for the WWW, it is imperative that you check your code in as many browsers as possible since there are so many in use although IExx, in one build or another, presently owns 75 - 80% of the browser market.

For example, I have IE6.2, IE5.5, NN4.7, NN6.2, Mozilla 0.9.5 (which is the parent code for NN6.2[AOL]), Amaya, and Opera all running on my machine.

Each browser version has its own unique directory (folder) on the root of a partition so the OS knows where to point to the proper code for the browser(s)in use. I often have three browsers opened at once with little trouble.

The only thing that you might have to get used to are nag dialogue boxes requesting if you want to make the browser that you are opening the default. If you are operating Windows (win32), IE always takes precedence because it is loaded by default with the OS, but you can change the defaults. I seldom click yes to the default nag, nor permanently close the nag dialogue boxes, from any browser because I don't want associations in my OS only pointing to a particular build, that is unless I am testing associations.

I hope that this may help to answer your question.

CSC

Thank you a lot! I'll try to install IE 6.0 even our administrator is very unhappy because of it... :)

Eugene :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back