Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible to connect to a CSV file as datasource?

Status
Not open for further replies.

foru11

MIS
Aug 25, 2011
MY
Hi,

I am using CR10.

Would like to know is it possible to connect to a CSV file as datasource?
If yes, may I know the steps to connect?
So far, I am only able to find steps connect to Excel file but no help in CSV file.

Thanks in advanced for the help.

Yes.

Use "Access/Excel (DAO)" and select Database Type of "Text".

Cheers
Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for prompt reply.

Another question to ask, is the CSV file must be in comma-delimited? Could it be in semicolon-delimited?
How would CR treat the data in CSV? When I tested with my CSV file, the result shows in CR is 1 whole line of data as below. How could CR separate the data for me? For example, the line below,
0191,21.Dec.12,AUS,Australia,10310,1003304,Include 10% commission Jayson Food for direct indent
code, date, country code, country name, product code, product type, description
I would like to have each data in it's own column.
Could this be done with CSV file as datasource?

Thanks.

It seems that it needs to be Comma separated for CR to see the data as separate columns.

Unless someone else can suggest a better way, it looks to me that there are perhaps 2 alternatives:

> Open the CSV file in Notepad or similar text editor and do a Find/Replace to change the semi colons to commas; or
> Leave the source data as it is and use CR's "Split" function to break the single column into its separate components.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your opinions.

I guess I need to inform the other party to make it as comma separated. [smile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back