Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible to compare databases on two different servers? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandman2869

Technical User
Dec 19, 2001
US
I have two databases, I need to compare them. The problem is, they are two different servers, right now I am copying one of them to the main server and then running my comparison. Is it possible to compare them in their native environments? I'm not sure how important this is but I am using SQL 2000.

Any help is appreciated,

Sandman

I assume you are trying to compare the schemas not the data. There are several third party products that will do this (all are somewhate pricy). I use Change Manager from Embarcadero Software. A cheap but clunky way to do it is to script off the entire database on both machines and use windiff to find the differences.

You can link servers and compare the Information_Schema views for column names, sizes, data types and so forth. You can also used linked servers if you want to compare table content. Terry L. Broadbent - Salt Lake City, UT
Home of the 2002 Winter Olympics (Feb 8-24)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back