Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible to clone a mac address?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo1999

Programmer
Mar 11, 2003
GB
I'm off to university in September and all dorm rooms have network connections with internet access. The network uses MAC address authentification, and only allows one MAC address to be registered per room.
I currently have a desktop PC and a Laptop. It would make like easier if I could connect both to the university network (but not nessesarily at the same time).
I've looked at bridging connections but that wouldn't solve the problem of MAC auth as it would just be the equivelent of using a hub. I've got a router that can clone MAC addresses but this connects to a WAN (I have broadband at home). Could this be used?
A solution I can see is cloning one computer's MAC address on the other and just switching network cables. Is this possible? I looked on one site and it mentioned flashing the bios on the NIC. Could this work?

If anyone has any ideas I'd be glad for your feedback.

Thanks greatly,
Jimbo.

your broadband router should be usable...plug your machines into the LAN end and the network socket into the WAN end - you should be up and running.

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

Aye if it has an in-built switch as many do, you could plug your network con into the uplink port, and your computers into the regular ports.

Many high end Unix boxes have NICs in which you can program the MAC address, I have not seen this feature in the commodity PC maarket.

discusses how to do so from Windows 2000

discusses NT 4.0

This card claims it can clone MAC IDs

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Thanks for the help.

would i still be able to access things like remote folders on the network?
and i think the internet uses a proxy of some sort. do you think this would work with the router?

I obviously can't try anything yet as i don't start until september, but want to be prepared.

Thanks again,
Jimbo.

Hi Jimbo - you should work absolutely fine without any hassles at all....worst case - you'll have to use the DMZ feature on the router, which transparently forwards all connections to a specified PC whilst appearing to the network as the specified MAC address.

Your broadband ISP may even use a proxy (my BB ISP does); this won't be affected by your use of a router.

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

jimbo,

Many PC commodity NICs have assignable MAC addresses, the only trick is to use the chipset manufacturer's drivers and not the brand seller. For example, the RealTek chipset and the ADMTek chipset are both configurable with the chipset driver and utility set. These chipsets are used by Linksys, D-Link, SMC, Siemens, Network Everywhere, etc. for their NICs.

I'd just buy a dual ethernet router (Cisco 2514 or 2611) and change the mac on the port that connects you to the campus network and then run NAT to the LAN side. Problem solved. Now you can hook up a TON-O-PC's. :)

&quot;I can picture a world without war. A world without hate. A world without fear. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.&quot;
- Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts

Thanks every1 for your help. I know its not for ages yet but its good to know I won't have to buy any more expensive kit :)

Cheers,
Jimbo.

Im more interested in the method used by the UNI to only allow one MAC adress per room. any ideas?? Maybe if you figures this out you could get around it just a guess though.

probably one MAC per person - my guess is jimbo could take the 1 PC into the next room and it would work fine. MAC access control on the router / firewall, probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back