Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible to clone a DB 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbix

IS-IT--Management
Nov 19, 2003
CA
Hi everybody,
in Oracle world it is possible to perform a full backup of a DB, configured in archive log mode, to restore it on a different machine and to keep it aligned with the "master copy" simply by rolling back the archived logs produced on the "master copy".
Is it possible to do the same thing with SQL Server 2000?

We use log shipping which keeps the file up to date.

djj
The Lord is My Shepard (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

Sorry should say the database up to date.

djj

I assume you meant rolling forward the archive redo logs from the master onto(in?) the second DB.

Per dj55... wIth SQL Server the equivalent is running the master in Full backup mode then do a full backup, then restore that backup on the second DB and from that point forward do transation log backups (these are the equivalent of archive redo logs on oracle) on the master and feed them (ie recover them) on the second DB. Checkout the MS Books On Line for SQL server.. they have how-tos and tons of docs on the topic to help you spin up.

Thanks ramam1 I understand how it works but cannot explain it well.

djj

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back