Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible to block 'window.open' method?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GD03

Programmer
Oct 20, 2003
US
I was just wondering if it is at all possible for a pop-up blocker to block a new window from opening using the 'window.open' method? There is no critical content that I am using for the new window but I would like for it to work on every platform.

If it is possible to block the window is there a way to give the user a warning?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
J.

Of course it is possible for popup blockers to block new windows - they wouldn't sell very well if they didn't, would they?!

As to how to detect, read this faq:

faq216-5752

and / or this thread:

thread216-1031214

Hope this helps,
Dan

[tt]D'ya think I got where I am today because I dress like Peter Pan here?[/tt]
[banghead]

I was asking because I have a popup blocker that does not block the new window so I assumed that popup blockers only block the popUpWin method or the popDown method.

I also failed to mention that the window.open script does not reside in the head section of the htm, which would auto open the new window. A user has to click a link to open the page. Perhaps this makes the difference.

Regards,
J.

Yes - a lot of popup blockers can be set to never - or always - block user-instigated popups.

Dan

[tt]D'ya think I got where I am today because I dress like Peter Pan here?[/tt]
[banghead]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back