Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible to block sending to one E-Mail address

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddrafts

IS-IT--Management
Dec 26, 2002
US
We have one user that is sending E-Mail to an Outside E-Mail address. We want to block him from sending to that address. But still be able to send External E-Mail. Is this possible in Exchange 2003?

Thanks
Doug

Why don't you just politely ask him/her to cease doing this?

LF

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."--Albert Einstein

Well.....

We do not want him to know that we know he is sending out some of our store numbers before we finish the investigation.

Oh, I knew there had to be something else behind the scenes... :) I was begining to think that my theory on the world moving away from person-to-person contact was actually in the more advanced stages!

One other thought comes to mind though... If you are blocking, or intend to block the email address, then wont this person figure out that you are blocking the email address and thus realize that you folks are onto him?

I think what you may want is a Honeypot type configuration so that you capture the email, or IP address of the email server, and direct it to a virtual server on your network. You could then strip the e-mail of all the "secret" data, and replace it with bogus data and send the e-mail on it's way. Sounds like a lot of work though...

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, just trying to point out a few things for ya...

LF

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."--Albert Einstein

Just add a send to also mailbox for his account. Keep a record for legal reasons. Create the mailbox to copy to/ hide from GAL/ open his account and add this address to the send to also.

Mike

In exchange you can block inbound but not outbound. Create the email address as a contact, then under the user's AD Exchange General --> Delivery Restrictions, just add the contact to the Accept from everyone except box and then hide the contact from the GAL.

If Google can't help, nothing can.
S.R.

add the removal of internet accesss to it... most of the time the user might resort to free Intenrnet mails....

I know no voice, I knew nothing about systems,
i know NUTS on networking, Therefore I dont know anything!
-----------------------------------
©2003,2004 SCHT.

I have added to the hosts file for hotmail, and yahoo mail so that they cannot get to them. We have purchased GFI's mail essentials and it look's like it is working.

Thanks for evenyones help.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back