Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible to avoid or speed up .database.verify ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelHu

Programmer
Jan 17, 2002
DK
Hi!

Is it possible somehow to avoid CR 8.5 making a verify on the database or to speed it up, when the tables of the aliases have been changed. When making an ODBC-trace, I can see, that CR generates and performs this SQL:

SELECT
DISTINCT SAG."ID"
FROM
"KMDPROD"."BO05400V" SAG,
"KMDPROD"."BO06300V" STATUS,
... (further 20 more tables)
WHERE 0 = 1

Despite the where clause, it takes approximately 8 minutes to perform the .database.verify (which is done by CR itself when refreshing the report and the verify has not been done yet). It is not possible to decrease the number of tables in the report, which might speed up the sql query.

Does anyone have a solution for this problem?

Many regards
Michael Husted

Database / Verify on Every Print is set OFF by default. Did someone turn it on?

Hi!

Thanks a lot for answering.

No, VerifyOnEveryPrint is set to false.

I think the Database.verify is being executed because the alias SAG in the SQL above is changed from BO05499V (a dummy table with only a few records) to BO05400V (a table with 100,000's of records). The same for STATUS (BO06300V / BO06399V) and most of the other tables. This is done because I am updating the report, when the user changes selections, so that he/she always knows, how the result will look like before fetching data, as this would take about a minute (+ the 8 minutes for the database.verify). The column names of BO05499V and BO05400V (et cetera) are the same, so the time consuming verify should not be necessary.

Many regards
Michael Husted

>>No, VerifyOnEveryPrint is set to false.

Are you sure that this is set correctly within the report itself? Open the report in the design environment and check the database menu for the checkmark. I have never heard of CR doing an automatic verify simply because the database was changed.

To confirm that the verify is caused by the change, why not test a report that is pointed to the live instance, and try it without the change. If the verify is caused by the change, then I am not aware of any other place to control it. Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guide to using Crystal in VB
tek@kenhamady.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back