Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible Reuse a Reference Link to a Lookup stage for multiple fields?

Status
Not open for further replies.

donafran

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
US
Another question trying to replicate a process we have in DataManager in Data Stage. (I know I need to stop comparing the 2, but I can’t seem to find any documentation on how to perform the tasks I need in Data Stage and I am more clear in my question if I explain the Data Manager process I am trying to convert).

IS it possible to use define a SINGLE Reference Input to a Lookup Stage and reuse it several times?
On the As/400, we have a reference table:
Field1 = CAT_CODE varchar (10)
Field2 = Cat_description1 Varchar(30)
Field3 = Cat_description2 Varchar(30)

I have an input file for ITEMS from the As/400 that looks basically like:.
Code1 = Item Code --- Use Reference table to get Description
Code2 = Product Line Code -- Use Reference table to get
Description(Camping, Cooking, etc)
Code3 = Status Code – Use Reference table to get Description
(Active, Obsolete, Out of Stock, etc.

In > Data Manager < in the FACT BUILD Transformation Model, I would define the Input Stream field Code1 as a Dimension which referenced a Dimension Lookup defined in the “Library”. In the FACT BUILD Transformation Model, an output field Code1_Description would be a calculation of “Code1.caption”.

Next, I would have field Code2 as a Dimension which referenced THE SAME Dimension Lookup defined in the “Library” and field Code2_Description would be a calculation of “Code2.caption”.

I have 15 of these codes.

In DATA STAGE, I am finding the only way to accomplish this is to define an ODBC Reference for EACH CODE ! That’s 15 plus the Main Input ODBC connection into the single Lookup Stage. (And A LOT of duplicate coding and mapping!)
Is there a method to reusing the same Reference?

If I understand your question correctly, you are stuck. You would need 15 connection objects, one for each "code". Since you're new to Data Stage, there is a copy function, so you can copy each connection object and then customize. A small consolation.....

==================================
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

Thank you.
I had experimented with the Copy Stage.
Is it any more or less efficient from a performance viewpoint, to use 15 ODBC connection stages, or 15 Copy Stages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back