Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it ideal for hosting? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

perlone

Programmer
May 20, 2001
US
I'm planning to get a NAS from Maxter. My main goal is to provide a large hosting service. I wanna know if it is ideal for web hosting to provide shared/dedicated hosting. Thank you for your time. There is no Knowledge that is not power.
E-mail: projectnet01@yahoo.com
Company:(not done yet) :)
Status: Currently working with C++ for game developing. And making a musical band.
-Aaron

Aaron,
It really depends on a couple of factors:
1. Do you need fault tolerance? If so, a NAS usually has some disk fault tolerance, but not on the network or power connections. If fault tolerance is critical, I would get a SAN.
2. Cost. This is an issue because SANs are much more expensive than a simple NAS. You need to weigh cost vs your need for reliability & fault tolerance
3. One other factor that is related, but not exactly on-topic is clustering. If you're setting up hosting, I would recommend using a cluster solution. I've worked both with Netware Cluster Services and the MS clustering and they both work as advertised.

Hope that helps
Bill ------------
Certified in absolutely nothing :)

Thank you, Bill. I will check out cluster solution. There is no Knowledge that is not power.
E-mail: projectnet01@yahoo.com
Company:(not done yet) :)
Status: Currently working with C++ for game developing. And making a musical band.
-Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back