Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is is possible to use tables instead of frames???

Status
Not open for further replies.

sribu

Programmer
Mar 8, 2003
US

I want to create a web page where the left side is static consisting of all links and the right side is dynamic which is based on the navigation. I know that one way of achieving this is using frames.

I would like to know if we can do the same using tables, i.e. a table consisting of two columns, where the left column will have the links and the right column will have the resulting navigation.

can anyone please tell me how we can do this?

thanks

you could use layers [Hammer]
Nike Failed Slogans -- "Just Don't Do It!"

You can set up a span or div in the table cell, give it a name, and then use a function to change the innerHTML of the span (or div, I prefer to use a span because they don't cause extra line breaks).

i.e.
function func1(){
document.all.spanName.innerHTML =" HTML code here ";
}

where spanName is the name of the span inside the table cell

i.e.

<tr>
<td STYLE=&quot;background: #000080&quot;> <!-- Body Left Navigation Bar -->
<br>
<a href=&quot;javascript:func1();&quot;>Page 1</a>
<br><br>
<a href=&quot;javascript:func2();&quot;>Page 2</a>
<br><br>
<a href=&quot;javascript:func3();&quot;>Page 3</a>
<br><br>
<a href=&quot;javascript:func4();&quot;>Page 4</a>
<br><br>
</td>
<td> <!-- Main Body Content -->

<span id=&quot;spanName&quot;>  </span>

</td>
</tr>

Or you could use a server-side include to put a document with your links into the page. Even into a table cell. Hope I helped / Thanks for helping
if ((Math.abs(x)<10&&Math.abs(y)<10) && (((parseInt(Math.abs(x).toString()+Math.abs(y).toString())-Math.abs(x)-Math.abs(y))%9)!=0)) {alert(&quot;I'm a monkey's uncle&quot;);}

If you don't have craploads of pages, you could simply use individual pages. I do this at
except that I put my navigation on the right. Same basic idea, though...

Cheers,
[monkey] Edward [monkey]

&quot;Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!&quot; -- inventor of the cat door

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back