Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is HSFMODEMWDM modem enumerator necessary in a Crypto 56k ins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulAlexander

Programmer
Jan 12, 2003
GR
Hi,

I have installed a Crypto 56k best PCI modem and I have noticed in the computer>properties>Device Manager of the WinMe OS a file modem enumerator called:
HSFMODEMWDM made by CONEXANT.
Therefore in the device manager list I found two modem elements listed: 1. The actual Modem Crypto Best II 56k data/fax,speakerphone modem
and 2. HSFMODEMWDM modem enumerator further up in the list.
Is the last one necessary for the good operation of the modem.
I have also noticed that both use the same INT = 5 but only the HSFMODEMWDM enumerator in it's properties tag lists the resources! Is that normal?
Thanks for your help in advance. PaulAlex..

It sounds normal. Because your modem is voice capable, there is a WAV device that has to be installed that is associated with the modem. In theory, even if you removed the WAV device, your OS would prompt you to reinstall it the next time that you booted.

It is that WAV device that allows you to use your modem as a speakerphone, or a voice mail system.

pansophic

Thanks pansophic,

I was thinking along your lines but I'm pleased that you have assured me.
The only problem which at present I face is this Crypto modem's low speed of max 34667 bps.
Previously, I used to have a Motorola SM56 speakerphone reaching a speed of almost 50600 bps.
There is a reduction of almost 30% and I'm trying to figure a reliable initilisation string in order to cover the lost ground!!
The Crypto Best II 56k PCI speaker/data/fax modem I'm using is very similar to the Conexant based similar models or Rockwell long time ago.
This one uses and the V92 protocol.
I have already experimented with some initialisation strings but with no significant improvement in speed!
Any ideas of init strings or choice of communication protocol will be most welcomed.
Thabks a lot. PaulAlexander.

Hi Guys again,

Could you please help?
Any of you that is using a Crypto Best II 56K data Fax speaker PCI modem or an equivalent Conexant 56k data-Fax-speakerphone modem or even an older Rockwell 56k perhaps have experienced low connection speeds (30000 bps).
If Yes. have you managed to improve the speed of your modem? How did you succeed in doing so? Via initialisation strings or by replacing drivers?
In my case in the My Computer>Properties>Device Manager there is the Modem and the HSFMODEMWDM Enumerator listed separately!
Should those two be listed together within the device Manager category Modems?
I'm asking because I suspect that during installation of the Crypto 56k Modem some Microsoft generic drivers have interfered causing the low speed problem.Perhaps this is why I'm getting two different items listed under Device Manager.
Thanks for your time. If any MIS comes across this note and can help I would be pleased to read his points of view.
PaulAlexander BSc, MSc Admin

On my HP Pavillion XE736, factory installed Conexant 56k modem, the Enumerator is listed separately. It was the same with my old HP Pavillion also(sorry been awhile, forgot make and model on that one)
As far as I can find out, it is perfectly normal. When I reinstall the modem, it install the enumerator 1st, then the actual modem.
Hope this helps at least a little

Hi LyonnHawke,

Thanks for responding.
Yes indeed in most cases I noticed that the WDM enumerator is reinstalled separately even if you unistall it provided a specific speakerphone is present in the PC.
What I would like to ask is that provided there is an emulator within the Modem's installation CD..which one we choose the one available by the OS or the one found in the Modem CD.
Because in some ocassions if we choose the enumerator of the CD the enumerator is displayed in the Device Manager below the Modem's icon sharing the same icon.
Otherwise the Microsoft OS enumerator usually is displayed in a different position on the Device Manager list next to a different icon.
I would be glad to hear any answers to the above question.
Thank you . PaulAlexander

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back