Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is Groupwise 6.0 compatible with MS Outlook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greyfoxvt

MIS
Nov 13, 2002
US
I have just upgraded to Novell GroupWise 6.0, and most of my users are asking if they can use the MS Outlook as their prefered mail client. I am not finding much information on this, and Novell dosen't say anything except that they are now compatible.

Does anyone have experience with this?

There are a few ways you can do this.

Novell created a plug-in for Outlook that will allow you to use the Outlook client with a GroupWise mail store. You do loose the functionality of Busy Search and Reoccuring Appointments. Everything else works pretty good. I have not used this with GW6, but if a 5.5 client will work with 6.0, then I am sure the Outlook plug-ing will also.

You can also use the client as a POP3 client. Just load POP3 services with your GWIA. I would create a second GWIA in your mail system since most DNS Blacklists test for a gateway running both POP3 and SMTP and label them to be open relays. Haveing POP3 on a different server will avoid this. The POP3 server will need to have access to the POA. Users will send mail through the SMTP gateway, so you will need to allow relaying for internal systems only. Users who go this route and want remote access will need to use WebAccess so you don't have to compromize security to acomodate them. This route also makes your users loose all functionality of a groupware mail system, only e-mail will work for them.

You also have IMAP4 and LDAP for email clients to use.

We have one adept user who just set up Outlook 2000 (on Windows ME) to receive e-mail from our POP3 server by configuring Outlook with our POP3 port IP Address. We're running GW6, so the answer is that it does work.

Here's a link to the tid on the plug-in that Provogeek was referring to.

HTH
Dennis

I have been using groupwise since it was a wordperfect project and not called groupwise and have had no major problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back