Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is GroupWise 5.5 worth installing for three users 80 miles away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

infocoor

MIS
Jul 15, 1999
US
We are trying to decide if a simple ISP connection for emailing purposes would be better that trying to install and run GW. If I understand correctly, geographically, I would need to have a server at their location and create an additional POA for communication back and forth. Aren't I just "looking for trouble" utilizing GW simply for emailing attachments back and forth to these three, somewhat "computer illiterate" users? They are running the software (MSOffice 97) needed to read attachments. Who would troubleshoot? Over-the-phone-FUN!! (yeah right!) Any suggestions? Please!! I am a new Network Admin and am trying desperately to prove myself. I have taken Novell 520 and GroupWise 350. The facts as I see them tell me that a simple ISP connection would be better than installing GW. Thoughts?? It's 7/15/99 at 10:40 a.m. CST and I'm looking for suggestions asap. Thanks to any and all that my send messages my way.

There are a number of facts you left out. If you have a current location that is already running GroupWise 5.5, but have a separate remote location with 3 users, then you would not necessarily need to have a separate server & POA at the remote site. The remote users could run GW client and connect to your existing server via TCP/IP. This scenario assumes your 3 remote users have Internet access. From a support standpoint, they would be running the same client software as you, which should make things easier. This all assumes your remote (and current) locations already have Internet access.<br>
<br>
If you need to get Internet access for your 3 remote users, than that access may "come" with POP 3 e-mail accounts. Even then, it may be easier to give them access to your GW server to simplify address book and other maintenance/support tasks.

Yes, our headquarters is currently running GW 5.5 and we are setting up a remote location with 3 users. I will find out if we have a TCP/IP connection for them. We just yesterday subscribed to a local ISP for them and we have had internet all along. So you are saying that I could do most troubleshooting from my location at hq. Uniformity is key. Can you explain internet access may "come" with POP3 e-mail accounts? as opposed to giving them access to GW server. I realize I sound a bit "clueless", but like I said, I'm still trying to learn and understand all this. Thank you so much for your prompt response!!

With virtually all individual Internet accounts, you get a POP3 mail account. With many business accounts, an ISP will give you x number of POP3 mail accounts on their mail server. Your three users could access those POP3's with a number of different e-mail clients. The downside is those three users will probably have e-mail addresses like: jsimth@ispname.com. If you give then access to your GW server, then there addresses will use your company's domain name. (rsobelman@compasscomputer.com)<br>

There's also an ASYNC solution W/ GW 5.5...Your remote users are in the same post office as the rest of the company, they use the same client SW and it's realitively easy to use

If your remote users just need to send a msg w/or/wo attachment, just an ISP provider would be less trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back