Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is Fax Over IP Possible? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbam

MIS
Oct 10, 2000
US
I couldn't find a lot of information about it.

The switch I have says it has IP Phone installed, but we don't use any of them. I currently have a fax machine that needs to be put in somewhere, but all that it available is a data port. So, I started thinking this might be a good time to investigate. Of course, I guess it means I'd have to buy a different fax, but that's okay.

Do we just have to buy a data card or something with Cat 6 cable jacks in the back or something? How does it physically get set up?

Thanks for any help.

What version Definity do you have? See if you have a C-Lan card installed. And as for the fax they do make a digital line converter to analog. I do not know though if the make an ip to analog line converter. My instinct tells me they do not.

Will

Fax over IP is certainly supported in R11 and higher. Currently the MedPro boards use a Fax relay function. With 2.1 Fax pass through is also available (the ability to turn off Fax relay).

Click below for S8700 Media Server information

Stupid question. How do I find out what version of Definity I have?

it will tell you when you log in. or, if you are already logged in type 'newterm'.

Sorry:

System: G3siV11

As far as C-Lan goes, isn't that my ability to telnet into the thing? If so, I can do that.

Why don't you keep it simple? KISS...

Assign an analog port to your fax machine and voila!

An analog board if needed is a lot cheaper than all of the stuff you are dreaming up.

Bajashark

I only have a data jack at location. I can run that wire to an analog, but was hoping to use this as an excuse for us to start getting into the ip telophony thing.

If you're trying to go straight into the Fax machine with IP (sorry if I'm wrong), that is not supported. You need to be tied to an analog or digital port like bajashark said

Click below for S8700 Media Server information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back