Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is every wireless device able to work in Infrastructure and Ad hoc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctopmep

IS-IT--Management
Feb 2, 2004
GB
I have a wireless network with access points from different manufacturers. My first AP was from Planet and it has options to choose its operating modes (AP, AP Client, Bridge, Multiple bridge).
My next device was Linksys WRT54G which originally was not able to connect to my first one as client, but after changing firmware, it has the option and it is working OK.
Next I have two devices "sweex 140 nitro xm" (RG-3000A) and "TWL108R". Neither of them has option to connect to AP as a client. I found firmware for RG-3000A from its original Korean manufacturer and there is an option in it to make it work as wireless bridge.
I wonder if not giving an option for different operating modes is just a marketing decision of the manufacturer or the devices really are not capable to work in such modes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back