Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is E3 interface supported ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexTovar

IS-IT--Management
Nov 28, 2001
MX
Hi all:

I want to know if an E3 interface is supported by DSS, I don't want the one for ATM, i need it to analize Frame Relay, HDLC, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Alex

Yes ot is. You need the DS Pro T1/E1 platform. It consists of a DS Pro analyzer and an E1/T1 "tap kit". The tap kit provides in-line access to two E1/T1 links and nis inserted into the link between demarc point and the integrated CS/DSU of the router. The tap kit perfroms the necessary electrical and signal conversions for the "borrowed: portion of the signal and hands it off to the Ds Pro monitor card. The monitor card has a special high density 60 pin connector that allows one or two tap kits to be connected to the one DS Pro. Thus, a single DS Pro will support two E1 links when purchased as the standard bundle and you can add a second tap kit for about $2,000 US to access two additional links. Each link is set up as a separate Agent in DS Pro View and all four can be monitored simultaneously.

There is a matrix switch peripheral device that allows the user to sit non-intrusively in either 8 or 16 E1/T1 links and share the single tap kit among the. This allows two Agents (on the one platform) to monitor or capture on any of the 8 or a6 links similtaneously. This is an ideal solution for leveraging the cost of the DS Pro. IN the event that all links nedd to be monitored 24/7, it is suggested that you do not use the matrix switch and just use the tap kit directly inline instead.

Owen O'Neill
Datacom Systems Inc.
Northeastern SE

Owen:

Thanx for your answer, I was sure the E1/T1 pod was not capable of decoding E3 signals. I haven't found it on the manuals, neither on Datacom WEB page. Are you sure I can decode E3 signals with E1/T1 DSS appliance ?

Cheers.

Alex.

Oops.... bad comprehension on my part. I'm not sure about E3, my comments were targeted at E1. If I had to hazard a guess I'd think the E3 solutions may be achieved with the WANbook. Have you looked into that? I think there is a PHY module available for the WANbook that handles the interface and signaling for E3. The data is then handed off to the Sniffer on the Ethernet monitor card interface.

We are no longer Sniffer VAR's and I don't have a current Sniffer price list handy to reference but that's my recollection. Hope this helps.

Owen O'Neill
Datacom Systems Inc.
Northeastern SE

Hi Alex, I read your question and the answers. I'd like to know how you overcome the problem of analyzing E3 links.
We are also looking for a solution and sofar Sniffer doesn't seem to have a solution.

muxum

Hi Muxum:

I used the HSSI interface to analyze FR E3, I think is the only option up to now.

I think DSS S-6040 will be capable to analyze E3 link in the near future, but I'm not really sure.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back