Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IS Dynamic IP a problem for remote Connection..???

Status
Not open for further replies.

techciscouser

Technical User
Jan 17, 2004
US
When I work from home I use VNC. Until yesterday my VNC was working fine....And then it said connection failed. And when I checked my IP was changed by my ISP.
As after 5 pm everybody leaves and if IP changes when nobody is around...then I am sure I wont get connected.

When I am trying to connect to work compuetr; Is there a way I can come to know if my Dynamic IP of work changes ...maybe if I can get an email from website(I hope thats not asking for too much...!!!)informing me of - that my IP has been changed by my ISP & that this is the new IP.

IS there a way I can get thru this problem....
Thanks

Try using a service like dynamic dns or no-ip. I use it all the time to connect to my server at home.

Go to Dyndns.org and register for free. Create your account, install a client software on your server. After that, you can access your server by url name even when IP changes. I've been using that on multiple servers for a year now.

anthony

Thanks Akwong

I did create an account on DynDNS.org at work. I never worked with these things so I am getting confused.
I am trying to access a computer named "marchin.dnsalias.com" behind the router.And I have already opened required ports on my router. Do I need to install "Update client" software on this computer or on my server...???

Thanks

You could have the server setup to use callback feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back