Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is Designer 6.0 is good for Web Development?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yash

Programmer
Apr 9, 2001
IN
Hi,
We are planning to start new project for our Web.
Our people have little knowledge to HTML only,
And we want to use Oracle tool fro development...
We know Form6.0 is not for New Web Development due to some disadvantage like Jinitator on Client machine, which is around 8MB in size.and, some other.
We try WebDB also it's good but it's not that much flexible.
Now somebody told us to try Designer6.0.
So i need Help from you Oracle Designer 6.0 Gurus
Is it good to use Designer6.0 for Web Development with little knowledge to HTML and No Knowledge of JavaScript’s???
Please Please reply ASAP...
With Warm Regards.

Yes, Designer 6.0 is good for web development, but that doesn't mean that you won't need some knowledge of HTML, and the PL/SQL Web toolkit. While more flexible than WebDB, Designer is still not as flexible as hand coding the application, but then it isn't as much work (I've done systems both ways). You'll get much more flexibility if you know PL/SQL and Javascript, and if you look for some tips on how to trick Designer into generating what you want.

The big benefit of Designer is AFTER your application is done. It is wonderful for maintenance and enhancements.

I hear that Designer 6i's web generator is a great improvement. I'll be finding out soon.

Thanks Buddy,
Is there any Good Book in Market with good examples.???
Once again Thank you very much for your time...
Yash

I like two from Oracle Press: Designer Handbook by Koletzky and Dorsey and Designer Generation by Atkins, Dirksen and Ince, but neither talks much about the Web Generator. Ken Atkins wrote a good paper on plugging custom code into your generated web project - you may be able to find it on his web site: Even if you don't, he has lots of good Designer tips.

Use the Handbook for general Designer design and development.
Use Designer Generation for information on server generation, which you will need to do for any RDBMS project.

I think that no.
You can get benefits, only if your project is big and there will be a lot of programers working for it.
It depend on the reaches of the features.
If you have a small project, choose another tool
Bye, Ariel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back