Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is CSH the default shell shipped on Solaris?

Status
Not open for further replies.

d3funct

MIS
Jul 13, 2000
US
There is a script running on my data warehouse server that uses Kornshell syntax but doesn't actually define an interpreter at startup. The script is acting sorta kludgy and I think it's because Solaris' default shell is CSH, but I want to verify this before changing the script and notifying management why I did it. Can anyone verify that CSH is the default shell shipped with Solaris? Thanks. d3funct
zimmer.jon@cfwy.com
The software required `Windows 95 or better', so I installed Linux.

I'm pretty sure it is the bourne shell. When you use admintool to add users the default is the bourne shell.

There could be a possibility that while installing the default would have been set to CSH .

Try to change the settings .

regards
ramki

When I add users to my solaris 7 machine, it gives me cshrc files indicating to me that the default would, in fact, be csh. I could definately be wrong though. Just put #!/usr/bin/ksh (or whatever your path) as your first line and it should run fine.

Hi ,

This question help me find out somemore secrets of Solaris 8. X-)
Read On:

If you want a default shell or group or directory or expiry date or skel . Then do the following:

login as root (any ways LOL)

# useradd -D (give this only once)
# vi /usr/sadm/defadduser
(Here you can change your defaults i.e in this
case change defshell=/usr/bin/ksh )
and then when you use useradd and donot mention the
shell ... not to worry it will take ksh as your
default shell.

Enjoy Unix ...

s-)
DJC

Solaris ships with a number of shells installed, easiest to see your choice in admintool, otherwise look in /usr/bin to see your choices.

If you mean is csh the default shell for root in a "go with the defaults" installation, then yes csh would be the default. It's probably not the best idea to change root's default shell.

A better idea is to create a user with the best environment for doing a particular job (or set of jobs), and permissions that reflect this. That way you can track exactly who is doing what to your system (even if it is only you), divide workload, improve security & accountability, etc, etc, etc.

Otherwise changing the #!/usr/bin/... at the start of you script is the easiest thing.
Ian

"IF" is not a word it's a way of life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back