Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is Crystal the tool for me??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

plshelpme

Programmer
Nov 1, 2001
CA
I am looking for a tool that will allow me to create reports based on data in an SQL Server DB. The reports will have to output in pdf form and they will be about 5-8 pages in length per record. I will want to pull multiple records at once. And I would like the user to be able to go through a form first to decide which records he/she would like to generate a report for.

If Crystal is not the right tool, are there any other suggestions?? (some mentioned activePDF...I'm looking into it, but I don't think that this is what I am looking for).

Thanks

Crystal can base reports on stored procedures that have parameters, so if your users can get a resultset by passing parameters to a SP then that’s fine, but if you would like your users to select records from within a resultset then you would need to build some sort of interface between SQL and crystal say using VB or ASP that could build a recordset that's then pass crystal

We’ve been using crystal for about 3 years now and it does the job for us, its not perfect but then what tool is.

Hope this helped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back