Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is Connection of 4 Hubs in a circle a Problem? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

joopa

Technical User
Sep 9, 2002
US
I am using 4 HP Procurve Hubs to control PLC equipment. They are all connected with cross-over patch cords. the last in the chain is patched to the first. All this is to keep loss to a minimum in case of power/equipment failure.

Everything is running fine and when I disconnect on hub the others take over. The only problem is that I get slow blinking LEDs on some of the cross-over patch cords.

My question is, does anyone predict that this could give any problems? I believe the blinking is because the hub can't decide which end to take the signal from, but since it works, should I be concerned? Would it be safer to add a switch?

Help/comments is much appreciated.

I don't think this is a good idea. You've effectivly plugged a hub into itself.

Also, if computer A is plugged into hub 1 and the server is in hub 4, if hub 2 or 3 fail, you will still lose connections.

Buy a couple of good switches and you'll be better off. Switches rarely fail. Have an extra one around if you want in case one does. But I bet you'll never use it as a replacement.

Again, I said good switches, Cisco, HP, 3Com. Used them all for years, never had one fail after years of service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back