Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is CommVault recommended?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodeoclown

Technical User
Feb 2, 2006
US
We are looking to procure a backup and restore tool for our global enterprise (abt 1000 Windows/Unix/Linux servers) distributed in over 100 countries around the world. Am looking at big 4 (IBM-TSM, EMC-Legato, Symantec-Netbackup, and CommVault). Would Commvault users recommend it or have any issue to be aware of?

Different environment...different issues...applies to all backup solutions ;-)

Personaly, I've used all 4 of the solutions that you suggest & out of them I must say that I like CommVault....you spend much less time administering it and the reporting beats the rest hands down.

Only downside to CommVault is that it is built around Windows so not much CLI to work with as the other 3 which are built around Unix.

I've found that you spend a lot less time administering CommVault & the reporting is excellent.

Best thing to do is to get an eval and play with it to ensure it's what you need.

PinnacleData Systems (UK)

I migrated to Commvault from Legato and have never looked back. Commvault does release quite a few patches, but unless it is specific to your environment you do not need to install them. Support is pretty good. I would recommend it so far.

I definitely recommend Commvault for its good reporting and minimal administration investment. However their support is borderline acceptable in my opinion. The main problem is that they have grown from start-up to big-time player so quickly that their support department hasn't been able to hire and train enough good techs to keep up with the customer growth. However when you do find a good tech, you'll get very good support. I tend to contact the techs personally that have helped me in the past rather than go through their queue and try my luck....

I have a similar infrastructure, 39 remote sites spread from New England to Hawaii.

In my humble opionion no other enterprise class backup systems can provide you with the features and lower cost of ownership.

We switched from Legato to CommVault and evaluated Veritas, TSM and CA. Nothing came close.

Commvault is a very reliable backup and restore application.

This is not to say that I have never had and issue, but it is very reassuring that they tech support people are all on the same page....unlike other backup and restore companies.

Whatever you do... DON'T BUY IT FROM DELL... Commvault won't support you.

And to top that... You can't even buy a support contract from Commvault themselves, unless you buy a new commvault license.

Baddos - I believe that Dell provides Tier1 support then brings CV in as needed.

Yeah... Except you call them and they don't even know what Galaxy is.

Version 6.1 is really Great. I have used Legato in the past but as another reply here says: Reporting on Galaxy is excellent. In addition I'm using QNet that adds more to management layer in creating custom reports that will take lots of efforts to manually do so. Presentation of these reports in pdf is also great. If you set it up correctly this software offers a lot. We have a very complex environment where the primary copy of the data is Magnetic space (Storage from Netapp, CIFS shares). During the day we do AUX copies, synchronous and selective for extended retention. Tape libraries are SAN attached via Brocade and all these components work great with Galaxy.

We purchased Commvault Galaxy from Dell and have had no issues with support. I contact Commvault directly and give them my Commcell ID and support is provided.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back