Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is CNR As Good As ISA? Urgent Post...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KASGPEX

Programmer
Jun 25, 2003
US
I was looking at some topics around the internet between CNR Ports and ISA Ports (which I previously owned, which had most of the little features.. Speakerphone, Phone Jack Support, Fax.. Etc)

I recently owned a modem occupying my ISA Slot..
56K US Robotics Voice Win Modem

I've heard and seen a few CNR modems, but if someone has a good pick.. I would like to hear it.

My real question is, is it as really good as ISA slot? No slowdowns (because it's smaller), what are the ups and downs? Does it work as well, as good?

This is urgent post, I need at least 1 reply within 2 days of this being posted.. I plan on getting my motherboard (which has a CNR slot), but I have a 2 day limit on this.

Honestly, I wouldn't use the CNR slot at all, nor would I use a win modem. I'd stick with PCI and get all hardware components. Win modems actually use a program on your computer to emulate some features of the chip which they don't include. Ties up system resources to be online.

A CNR modem costs around the $8 mark, a WinModem around $15, and a good (USRobotics) PCI hard modem runs around $80.

Last time I checked, you still get what you pay for...

The test continues...

You can get a good PCI modem for c. £10 here in UK - so I suspect you can get one for $15 or less in US, as US prices rarely higher than here.

I'll think about the PCI, but man.. The ISA worked wonders for me, usually to the Max.. So I don't see any complaint. Plus, I'm thinking about getting a Cable or DSL connection soon.. :b Then I won't have to worry 'bout modems..

Helpful Post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back