Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is Brio an OLAP tool? Rolap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimd1024

MIS
Nov 24, 2000
US
Brio technologies sells a varietry of reporting and other software.
I am most familiar with Brio Query Designer, and
Brio Reports, which can be hooked to a number of
relational databases. Is Brio a decent OLAP tool? How does
using it compare to a true OLAP database?

Since it does OLAP type thing in relational databases, does that
make it a ROLAP tool?

Thanks,

Jim

Depending on how your data warehouse is setup, you can use Brio in both settings.

Analysis of data is standard in any company.

According to Webopedia: OLAP tools enable users to analyze different dimensions of multidimensional data.

So if you are setting up your database with dimensinal and factual data, then use it as pure olap. This is rare to find in any company. If you have a relational database, then you will be doing ROLAP. Plain and simple.

Dear Jim!
One little note about the ROLAP.

I had problems with it in version 7 of the OLAP, even in SP3
In certain types of the cube substructure - OLAP returnes wrong aggregations results in cases when the aggregation is not designed to be counted during the processing time...

And ROLAP is working very slowly, if you have fact table with 1 000 000 records - and if you will run any MDX query on it - you will see you CPU working 100% and all the other tasks will be stacked.

Why don't you want to use MOLAP?
I have the relational db too, but during the processing I load all the data inside the MOLAP olap database.

So, no problems occure,
THe price is the disk space but is it not critical

My best regards,
Issahar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back