Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is bridge rectifier the same as rheostat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobgoona

Systems Engineer
Dec 4, 2020
UA
I’ve been doing my best to get the hang of what a bridge rectifier is for a while now and i’m a bit confused now because I’m not sure if a rheostat is the same thing. I’ve checked a few articles and even this post with video but I’m still a bit on the fence. Could somebody here explain it to me like I’m 5. I have a hunch that I'm missing something big time. Thanks

A bridge rectifier is named from the 'Wheatstone Bridge Rectifier'. Normally consists of just 4 diodes.
A rectifier changes AC into DC by switching at the same rate as the alternating current (AC) to send DC out the other side.
A transformer before the rectifier will 'transform' the ac voltage down to a manageable level - for example 12 V AC - this 12 V AC is then fed into the bridge rectifier which will rectify it to 12 V DC.
After the rectifier it will need to be smoothed out using capacitors and other discrete components.

A rheostat is a device that controls/limits the amount of current passing through it. It does not change the current from AC to DC but just limits it - a bit like a volume control that you turn up or down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back