Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is Athlon64 X2 4200+ Better than Athlon64 4000+ San diego?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordgalla

Technical User
Apr 1, 2005
US
Hello;I have a San Diego Athlon64 4000+ Socket 939 1meg L2 Cash,Running Stable at 2.8Ghz's Single core cpu..I'd like to know what Dual Core Athlon 64 Socket 939,will really make a difference without spending a lot of money?? Or should I just stay with this single core 4000+.??? Any Idea's?? I want to update this 939 1 more time maybe.?

It really depends on how you use your computer. Go out to this benchmark page on Tom's Hardware to zero in on the tests that matter to you:

After pitting those two processors against each other, I didn't see a clear winner. The 4000+ wins in a lot of utility benchmarks, while the 4200+ seems to win more on the gaming side. They both seem pretty even trading jabs in multimedia apps.

Unless you do a lot of gaming and can get the processor for under $50, I say the upgrade isn't worth it.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

I can always remember the old rule of thumb when upgrade time came around: if you can't double the speed then it's not worth it! now I know things have changed alot since the megahertz rat race but the basic premise is still true.
cdogg points out that these two CPU's are close, too close to feel any real benefit.
The next upgrade should be AM2+ or Core2 duo/quad.
Because for you, there wouldn't be enough speed benefit left to contemplate spending anything on the 939 platform (from memory I think the fastest CPU for 939 was the X2 4800 and they are fetching silly money on ebay these days)
Better starting again and selling on your base unit as a going concern (when the time comes, there is still life in the old dog yet!)
Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

ya,I know about the AM2.I just can't make the move to change the motherboard,cpu,video card,and Ram,all at once.So I just wanted to get the most out of this 939 board.What's the deal with the X2 4800+ being so expensive on ebay,Is that outragous or what? $260-$300 bucks..but yet the AM2 6400+ X2 is less that $200...In order to go that route,I have to change motherboard,Cpu,Video Card,Ram.all of it..I'd just like to get a good deal on a Athlon64 X2 4200-4800+ 939 for now,know what Im saying?Thanks for the input,anything helps.

The reason for the X2 4800 fetching so much second hand is exactly your situation, owners wanting the fastest upgrade for 939 without the expense of a complete upgrade. The problem is supply and demand.....lots of users wanting these parts and so artificially bumping up the value.
Same is/was true of the AMD XP3200+.
Martin

so;you don't think a 4400+ Dual core 939,would be better than a 4000+ single core,for gaming only??

I've already pointed out that the X2 4200+ would outperform what you have now in most games. So the faster X2 4400+ will obviously do the same.

The real question is how much better for the price. The X2 4400+ is still going to run you over $100 easy for a marginal 5-15% increase in performance depending on the game. To me that's still not worth it.

A video card upgrade makes more of an impact than any processor upgrade, which is why the money is best saved for that instead...

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein

As cdogg has pointed out so well: this particular CPU upgrade will only improve gaming by a few percent where as the same amount of money spent on a graphics card could well double your frame rates (depending on what you already have fitted)
If it's gaming then money spent on a new GPU is always gonna to get better results.

ya It's gaming,all I do on this computer.already have a ATI X1950 GT running at 601/1350 stable at these settings 256meg.video.basicly the only thing left for this 939 setup is the cpu,changing to a dual core.The Motherboard will accept up to a X2 4800+939.If I don't do nothing there,then I have to change the motherboard,video card,ram,cpu,hard drives,all of it.because the new system would be like AM2,PCI Video,SATA-300,whatever.Thankyou for all your suggestions on this,all will be takin into consideration.Thankyou.

If I don't do nothing there,then I have to change the motherboard,video card,ram,cpu,hard drives,all of it

...or you could just do nothing! [bigcheeks]

Looks like you have enough to go on. Just remember that when you do upgrade down the road, you won't need to change your hard drive necessarily. SATA-300 has a higher possible transfer rate, but SATA-150 is still faster than the fastest drives today. Unless you're running a complex RAID array, you won't see any benefit upgrading to a SATA-300 drive.

~cdogg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back