Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is anyone running Backup Exec with NSE ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChelseaGirl

Technical User
Aug 16, 2002
GB
I was wondering if anyone else was running BE with NSE as I would like to swop info and maybe we could help each other out

Yes, I am running BE with NSE. We also use Plasmon library with IBM drives. We take the backup process very seriously and do a lot of testing as well. However, we keep having a lot of problems. Tape stuck, Jobs aren’t complete, and of-the-wall issues. I have personally came to the conclusion of getting another hardware to replace the plason boxes. Of course that costs money, so before I do I would really like to communicate with the user community and see if we have common problems. So, do you use Plasmon hardware?

Sorry, no - a Dell DLT130T (which is in fact a StorageTek 9730). I do have lots of problems though ! My main concern is NSE/BE creating duplicate media ID's when it marks a tape as bad media e.g. ABC123 will get an error and I will end up with two tape id's called ABC123 - one marked as bad media and the other as the tape was before the error.

I'm on version 8.5 with 6 servers running BE. I am seriously thinking of just using the NSE Master server to backup - without the other 5.

Ya, this is what we do.

We use one server with BE and use agents on all other 15 servers. So, the media server is one server only with a PLasmon 12.2

You might be better of using one media server with BE installed on it and forget about the NSE.

BE/NSE relationship is a flaky one.

Amar

When at first you don't succeed, try try again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back