Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

is any setting needed to view tooltip in IE

Status
Not open for further replies.

portagal

Programmer
Jul 28, 2004
CA
Hi,
I am using <span title="XXX"> to show tooltip about some texts in a webpage, I know this is not compatable with some browsers, but IE is supporting it, my problem is IE is showing this tooltip in some of our machines and not in some others, Is this a setting problem, should we change the setting of IE browsers? if so what is the associated setting.
I appreciate any help/tip.

Thanks,
Portagal

And can you tell us how you know that title attribute does not work in some browsers? Being a standard html attribute, I have never seen it not work in a single browser.

Hi BillyRayPreacherSon,

Thanks for your reply and the answers for your questions are Yes. I tried it myself on their machines.

Hi Vragabond

Just try it on Netscape.

Hi Dan,
No I didn't. I still cannt see the tooltip on Netscape and have the same problem on IE in some of our machines, so i decided to go with popup window.

Portagal

I am not quit sure what you mean by transparent element, but I have tried it in a simplest form posible:
<html>
<head>
<title></title>
</head>
<body>
<span title = "Text to be seen as tooltip">
<a href=" Google site </a></span>
</body>
</html>

Portagal

that's your problem. i believe the anchor tag's title will supersede the span's.

try this:

Code:
<a title="Text to be seen as tooltip" href="[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.google.ca">[/URL] Google site </a>

*cLFlaVA
----------------------------
[tt]( <P> <B>)[sup]13[/sup] * (<P> <.</B>)[/tt]

[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.coryarthus.com/[/url]

That could be it.
If there is no title [em]attribute[/em] in the <a> tag then it shouldn't matter, however it doesn't hurt to put the title tag in the actual element rather than the one surrounding it!

Why do you have the title [em]attribute[/em] in the surrounding element rather than the actual link?

Foamcow Heavy Industries - Web design and ranting
Buy Languedoc wines in the UK

I have a list of links not all of them having title. I am obtaining what i need to show as title dynamically so to keep my code cleaner I am using <span>, however the question is if the problem is due to some kind of precedence issue, don't you think i should have this problem on all machines and not just on few. Having said all of this I gave the benefit of the thought and tried putting the title attribute on <a> tag and got the same result: "not able to view the tooltip on some machines"

Thanks for all your thoughts
portagal

Why not write the title into the link dynamically instead of creating a span dynamically? I'd say putting the links into spans to apply a title attribute is actually messier than just putting the title in the link where it should be.

The reason you may not see it on all machines may be that they are using very slightly different revisions the browser.

IE 6 has lots of sub versions.

For instance the version of IE 6 I have here is, deep breath...

Version: 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.005301-1519

<honk>*:O)</honk>
Foamcow Heavy Industries - Web site design in Cheltenham and Gloucester
Buy Languedoc wines in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back