Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is all Visual C++ 2008 code managed by the CLR? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCruz063

Programmer
Feb 21, 2003
US
I've searched online and the answer doesn't seem obvious.

I've been programming in C# for a few years and would like to start programming in C++. In deciding which compiler/environment to use, I'm thinking of Visual Studio 2008. The question is: will the C++ code I write in Visual Studio 2008 be managed by the CLR or will I have the choice to write both managed and unmanaged code?

I'm not interested in managed code as I could just use C# for that. Rather, I want to explore the power, efficiency and speed people speak of when they refer to C++. Is Visual Studio 2008 a good candidate for this? I would imagine so, but I'm not sure. As simple as the question looks I haven't been able to find a clear answer.

Thanks.

You have a choice of both managed and unmanaged. Managed uses some pretty weird non-standard syntax which can only be found in MS documentation. Some of it comes from Objective C.

VS 2008 is quite a good candidate, especially in release mode. Not as fast as Intel C++ but comparable to g++, Borland and Metroworks Code Warrior..

Great, Thanks... I already have Visual Studio 2008 and I started exploring C++. I came across the /clr compiler option which allows you to produce managed code. I take it that if /clr is missing, I'll get native code. Nice!

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back