Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is Access/VBA is the right tool for file manipulation/FTP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark4444

MIS
Nov 29, 2001
GB
Hi,

I am embarking on a project that involves manipulating text files, input and output into Access and automatically FTPing of files. By the very nature of this system, it does require that processes are running, looking for the existence of files on specific directories and then

- Opening files for read/write,
- File level and field level validation
- Generating of other files/database content based on the
original files.

I am convinced that C/C++ would be able to do the job, but I would appreciate any input you might have in terms of the feasibility of using Access2000/VBA to provide this type of functionality.

My main concern is that Access2000/VBA is primarily user event drive i.e. I click on a button and a certain process occurs. In the intended system, the event is the apparition of new ascii files which then triggers of business logic.

Many thanks for your help,

Mark

Access is capable of this. You could either poll the directory periodically or (if you are API enabled) set up a shell notification. I'd probably just go with the polling periodically unless the time period is very short.

Luther

SQL Server would be a better choice IMHO simply because of SQL Server Agent. 'Taint free though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back