Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is a TS Licensing Server required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chjinmind

IS-IT--Management
Oct 3, 2001
SE
Just a quickie...
Is TS licensing server really needed when I only use ICA protocol?

Every 6:th hour the server warns(in event viewer) about not finding a licensing server on the domain but that's it... everything works fine. Server is configured to license "Per Seat".
Will it work like that forever or? (I haven't found any temporary licenses expiry dates anywhere...)

Is there any additional cost (client costs) to set up and activate the TS licensing so that the server just "shuts up".

/chris

Chris,

For a connection to a TS you need several licenses.

1) MSTerminal Server
2) the CAL (Client Access License) for evey client that connects to the TS
3) Metaframe Citrix base License (MF1.8) Metaframe XP is another story....
4) User license for citrix if exceed the base license

If you have the just amount of licenses you can add those to the license manager of NT.
The notifications stops...

Licensing is alway a mistery. This is how I think it works...If anyone wants to correct me. Please do !!

I think you are correct Frans, except for one detail. If the client wanting to access the Terminal Server is a Windows NT workstation or Windows 2000 professional workstation, that license is sufficient. So if all the workstations that want to use Terminal Server are licensed Windows NT WS or Win2000Pro stations, you do not have to buy CAL's. Citrix licenses are still required for each client.
Nice and confusing eh? :)

If your using Win2000 and MF1.8 you will need to set up terminal server license server. At the moment your clients will be given a temporary license on connection that lasts 99 days once this period expires they will not be able to connect.

Hi!

Where is that information stored, on the client or on the server?
I tried to sniff the register for any sort of information on licences but with no luck.
For a registered client a sertain key can be exported and transferred, that key does not exist.. or any sort of key that indicates that it won't work...

So, where does the client or server buffer it's licens info?

To "thejaggy"... I think it's not correct what you said. If you have NT workstation, but your server is Windows 2000 TS, YOU HAVE TO BUY TSCAL for each client.. )-:.
I think it's could be too much expensive if you have 3 thousands clients with NT workstation as I have, even because your clients without TSCAL can't connect never more, after three months!
If somebody has some other ideas about that, please let's go deeply in this forum.

Danny, I guess you are right.. I tested one of my servers yesterday.. It was like that with WTSRV 4.0, but not with Win200 Terminal Services. Every CAL that you buy has a license code that you have to approve through the Microsoft license server by Internet. I tried to use a Win200Pro license code, since the format is the same, but the MS server said that the license was invalid. The whole deal with licensing is pretty much a bummer anyway.. What if you bought 200 CALs? You'll need to pick someone off the street willing to enter 200 25-digit codes for you. Ugh! There has to be a better way!

You can install all of your TSCAL licenses on the licence server.
The server will assign one for clients automatically, the first time the client will connect to the server via RDP or ICA.
One problem is controlling wrong accesses from clients not interessed ....
But the main problem for me is the cost of TSCAL for each client (in Italy ~150$ for clients)... with 3 thousands clients that potentially can connect.... (~ 450000$ !!!)..
Citrix concurrent licenses becomes almost gratis in the global evalution of costs!!
I don't understand where Microsoft wants to arrive with this policy..... perhaps we all should rewrite all of our applications in Java....
Anyone has nothing to add?

Hi!
I think have the answer to close the disussion, talking windows that is...

The sad thing is that there HAVE to be a license server around and that you have to have CAL's for all OS's except W2k prof. and XP, end of discussion.
I did a experiment with a server and changed the system clock som months in advance so that the 90 days grace period expires. The WS was denied access, but when I turned the sysclock back it worked... spin on that thought and you might find another solution.. :)

The thing is that without a CAL that is on a activated TS-Licensing server a connection for a NT 4.0 WS is denied after 90 days...

However I don't know how it works for client with other OS'es like Linux or MAC using a Citrix ICA client software... is it a 90 days grace period there as well?

Cheers,
Christer

Good point. I was wondering myself if the TS license is required if you say use a thin client.

Does anyone know if the standard ELA's cover TS licenses?
Al
atc-computing@home.com

Yes, even thin clients require TS cals. In my case I have thin clients TS1010 from compaq and everyone requires a license. It's really a headache maintaining TS licensing. I have 10 licences installed, nine are issued, yet everytime the server reboots, it says 90 days grace period expired, and does not start the licensing service. Any suggestions

Regarding Windows 2000 Pro - You still need to buy WIndows 2000 Server CALs for these clients, you just don't need the Terminal Server CAL.

The reason why a thin client still needs a TS CAL is because you are technically accessing a full Windows Desktop session. Microsoft wants their money if you want to connect via any Terminal Session.

If you are connecting from an NT 4 Workstation to an NT4 TSE/Citrix server, you don't have to purchase an additional TS CAL.

If you are connecting from a WIN2K pro workstation to a Windows 2000 Terminal Server/Citrix server, you are not required to purchase a TS CAL either.

However, if you are connecting from an NT4 Workstation to a Windows 2000 Terminal Server/CITRIX server, you will have to purchase a TS CAL.

All other clients whether it be Win9X, ME, or any thin clients still require the purchase of a TS CAL...

===========================================================

Jeff

I have a slight variation on the above themes:

The server started off nicely licensed for TS with some separate CALs for non-XP clients. All was working well. Then we wanted the server to become part of the main office domain so that we could use pass-through authentication instead of generic logons.

Then we started getting the message that TS licencing wanted to be on a domain controller. However, the Citrix sessions all seemed to work okay still - just the TS licensing won't run so there is no way to see if we are back on 90 day licences.

We can get the TS licensing working again normally by making the server a domain controller - but this introduced other problems (a BDE database stopped working).

Can any of you recommend the best thing to do in this situation? (a) Have the server standalone again, (b) run with the TS licencsing error and ignore it (c) try and solve the BDE error.

All help appeciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back