Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is a DVD player for the TV or a computer better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonGuerra

Technical User
Mar 25, 2003
CA
Why does a DVD player for a TV read more scratched DVDs than a DVD drive for a computer? I have a DVD-burner and it lags or sometimes stalls while reading a disc with minor scratched. The same is not true when I play the same disc on the DVD player for the TV.

I'd have to assume that a dvd player can handle scratched discs better because it may be built to skip over errors, while a dvd-rom doesn't have the luxury of skipping what it can't read.

Also, it really depends on what brands you have. A well built dvd player is going to be better than an el-cheapo dvd-rom drive, and conversely, a well built dvd-rom drive is going to be better than en el-cheapo dvd player.

basically the stand-alone player uses the same drives than the pc-player. It depends on the controller of the drive. You can get high performance controllers with good error control for the pc as well. Though most of the people compare a 40$ pc-drive to a 100$ standalone and expect the same performance...

----------------------------------------

Everybody has the right to be stupid -- but some people abuse the privilege. (a quote from Stalin - and I am one of the abusers, sometimes...)
----------------------------------------
Experienced in the IT-chaos since 1984...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back