Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is a crossover cable needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManagerJay

IS-IT--Management
Jul 24, 2000
US
I am connecting an ADTRAN ESF ACE CSU/DSU to a Smart Jack for our frame-realy connection. Both are using pins 1,2,4 and 5 with RJ48 connectors.

Do I need a crossover cable to connect the CSU/DSU to the SmartJack, or do I need a straight through cable? The manual is not real clear on this.

And, will I need a crossover cable to connect the CSU/DSU to the router?

Thanks for your help.

Jay

I think a straight through cable should work in both cases. I am pretty sure you dont need a X-over cable for the CSU/DSU-Smart jack. I dont think you need it for the router end. Does it work fine when hooked up? James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

SmartJack to CSU/DSU should be straight thru. In our case the CSU/DSU to Router is a big, old X.35 cable so I couldn't tell you that one. Router to switch/hub will probably be crossover.
Jeff

I haven't lost my mind - I know it's backed up on tape somewhere ....

MasterRacker,

The router will be connected to the CSU/DSU. Do you still think he needs a X-Over cable? I did not think one would be needed there. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Both the connections from the CSU/DSU are using RJ-48C. When the CSU/DSU is connected to the SmartJack using a straight through cable, I get an alarm light and our frame-relay provider cannot see the CSU/DSU.

The same is true with the router. With the router, the RJ-48 connects to an adapter to a DTE connector. Then a cable runs from the DTE connector to the serial port on the router.

I have tried different straight cables without any success.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jay

Have you tried a hard loop on the RJ to see if your provider can see that? Just a suggestion to rule out problems before you even get to the cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back