Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is a Cisco 1900 Series 12 Port Good Enough for my setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hottaix

Technical User
Mar 28, 2002
US
I am looking into getting a Cisco Catalyst 1900 Series 12 port switch, its features are:

Features:

Multiple MAC address support:
The Catalyst 1900 Series supports a 1024-address cache shared among all ports.
CollisionFree operation for full-duplex 100BaseT, providing up to 200-Mbps bandwidth and extended distances using fiber-optic cabling.
CiscoWorks device-management support.
IEEE 802.1d Spanning-Tree Protocol support with Port Fast option.
Up to 320-Mbps maximum forwarding bandwidth and 450,000 packets per
second (pps) aggregate packet-forwarding rate.
Shared memory architecture with 3-Mb packet buffer.
Connection for a redundant power system (RPS).
Telnet and SNMP support for in-band management and a menu-driven out-of-band management console.
Support for up to four port-configurable virtual LANs (VLANs).
Cisco Group Management Protocol (CGMP) to limit flooding of multicast traffic to predefined ports.
Port security to prevent unauthorized access to the network.
Broadcast storm control.
Embedded RMON (four groups).

I am going to be connecting it to a Cisco 2514 Router on a cable connection, would this switch be sufficient for 2 pc's and a small server?

Thanks

hi
i took my cisco classes at epsolon networks ....they have almost 200 cisco routers for hands-on. they have all types of routers from 1600,2500,2600,3600 and 7000. Now they also do CCIE LABS.....

anyone interested or have any cisco configuration problem u can call them, they r ready to help u on phone...

281-558-8880

The 1912 will do you fine for this implementation.
Cheers,
Phil. If everything is coming your way then you're in the wrong lane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back