Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is 128kb the max RAM that Windows 98 can handle

Status
Not open for further replies.

javaarray

Programmer
Feb 10, 2001
US
I am looking at up grading my ram from 64KB to 512KB, using two 256KB sticks of sdram. I was told the windows 98 will only see the first 128KB, is this true?? I know the mother board will handle all 512KB..

I have ran Win98 with 512Megs of rams, and with 384, but currently I run Win2000 with 384.

it will see all of your rams, but it is unlikely that win98s system itself will use up past 128 (but applications will use the remaining free rams) Karl
kb244@kb244.com
Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)

I have run Windows with 256MB RAM. It will use it for applications, but honestly anyone running 9x who needs more than 128MB RAM should really think of using 2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back