Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Irritating problem when deleting profiles.. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipesnab

IS-IT--Management
Oct 24, 2002
GB
I have an irritating problem when deleting obselete user profiles: When I try to delete some user profiles it won't delete them because they may contain several system files to which the administrator does not have permissions. I can change the security permissions of each of these system files one at a time and them delete them but this is too time consuming - is there a way that I can do all the files at once so that I can just delete the whole profile.

I have tried taking ownership of the profile but this does not help....

Are you deleting the directory in Windows Explorer or deleting the profile through the System Propertis\User Profiles?

Right-click on My Computer-> Properties-> User Profiles
Select profiles which you want to delete and click Delete

On my network our users have roaming profiles - the profiles (ie desktop folders and files) are stored on a seperate server. Once I have removed the user from active directory on the PDC I then need to delete the profile files and this is where I am getting the problem I described above. I am using windows explorer to delete the profile folder.

You can reset all permissions at once instead of doing one file at a time. Open the Properties of the users Profile folder...and then click,

|Security|Advanced|Permissions tab...give yourself Full Contoll and then check the box at the bottom to 'Reset permissions on all child objects and enable propagation of inheritable permissions'.

Hope this helps,

Patty [ponytails2]

Yep, thats what I was looking 4...

Thanx Patty...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back