Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

sloth8817

Technical User
Jan 14, 2003
US
I get this error ever since I installed my Nvidia Geforce4 mx 440se video card, it occurs during game play, i get the usual blue screen and the above error, then my system restarts. My computer runs fine all the time excpet then when my video card is being used by something such as a game. I have tried the basics, updated drivers uninstall re-install ect. an help appreciated thx

I put your error message in XP's help search and came up with 15 diferent answers. From mouse to video card. Give it a try and see if one of them might help.

Let us know what you find

Did, some searching on nvidia's site and said it could be due to hardware sharing IRQ's I checked mine and my modme and video card is on same.. how can i change this? can this be the/part of the problem?

typed it in the tek-tips search ive read through those already, did u mean the Microsoft xp help site? anyways, this error has never occured before i Installed that new video card then it started happening when i run grpichally demanding games that really rely on my vid card I'm thinking it might be like i said that my modem and vid card are on same IRQ, can the be a possability?

Generally, the APG slot shares resources with PCI slot 1. Put your modem somewhere else. Don't put your network card there, either. If at all possible, put a dust cap on that one.

Of course, I am assuming you have a modem in that slot. Most common cause of this sort of problem. Usually a network card, but a modem has the same effect as both rely heavily on the IRQ.

If you don't have a modem card in that slot, check your bios settings. Often you can adjust which IRQs are assigned to what from there. Your AGP is stingy and won't play well with others, has to have it's own.

Usually, the IRQ less than or equal error is a driver problem. But if it's sharing an IRQ with the modem, and you're trying to use both at the same time, then you'll also get that error. Jennifer Sigman
STILL unemployed...

Thx for all of the help i will move my modem to a differnt slot, i have a netwrok card as well should i move that too or leave it where it is at since it seems not to be conflicting with my video card. another question though, my modem isnt in the 1st pci slot, there is my agp card, then a clear PCI, then sound card, network card, modem, then blank PCI slot (from top to bottom). Where should I place my Modem?

OK, moved my modem to a difernt PCi slot to change its IRQ now it is 11 and my video card is alone on on 10 but i got to looking at all my IRQ settings and got a list of them all to post so here goes:
IRQ 0 System timer OK
IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard OK
IRQ 3 Communications Port (COM2) OK
IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
IRQ 5 C-Media CM8338 Audio Driver (WDM) OK
IRQ 5 MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device OK
IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK
IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 10 NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 OK
IRQ 11 AMD 756 PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK
IRQ 11 HSP56 Micromodem #2 OK
IRQ 11 Linksys LNE100Tx Version 2.0 Fast Ethernet PCI Card #2 OK
IRQ 12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse OK
IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK

I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 PCI bus
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 Direct memory access controller

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF AMD-751 Processor to AGP Controller
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440

IRQ 5 C-Media CM8338 Audio Driver (WDM)
IRQ 5 MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device

IRQ 11 AMD 756 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
IRQ 11 HSP56 Micromodem #2
IRQ 11 Linksys LNE100Tx Version 2.0 Fast Ethernet PCI Card #2

Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xDFFFFFFF AMD-751 Processor to AGP Controller
Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xDFFFFFFF NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440

Memory Address 0xE4000000-0xE5FFFFFF AMD-751 Processor to AGP Controller
Memory Address 0xE4000000-0xE5FFFFFF NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI bus
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF AMD-751 Processor to AGP Controller
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB AMD-751 Processor to AGP Controller
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440

now the top is all of the IRQ's since i Moved my modme now it is on 11 with 2 other caerds which is ethernet and USB controller is there a way to manually configure your IRQ's? the bottom list is all the resources and IRQ"s that are being shared, are any of these bad? I know a few are OK like the sound card on IRQ 5 but what about all the resources being shared by my Processor and my video card... are those bad?? will they cause more conflicts? sorry for such long post just trying to get it all right, this is pretty annoying

Restart in safe mode, go into device mangler, and remove all com ports, and the modem.
Go into BIOS setup, and disable com 1 and 2, unless you're still using an ancient serial device.
Set PnP OS Installed to NO.
Set Reset configuration data to YES.
Restart, let everything reinstall.
Should sort out any sharing that may be giving problems. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

check my post...i have a similar problem
thread779-458828 seems my computer only reboots when i am playing a game...please help!

Did you have any problem previously playing this game or other games? I've run into errors somewhat similar with conflicting RAM wherein the second chip was only being accessed when I was running a game which used that much RAM. MCSE, A+

Well, moved my modem to a difernt PCI slot so it wasnt on the same IRQ as my video card and it seems to be working fine since then. Ill let you all know if it changes and I wil ltry some of the other suggested things. Xemus this has happened with any game that requries alot of video processing such as diablo 2 or warcraft 3. By the way can anyone let me know if any of my IRQ's or resource sharing will elad to any further problems? I posted them all a little earlier ibn the thread.

Stayed up for 30 hours straight untill I fixed this problem on my machine:
Windows XP w/SP1
AMD 2200XP+
Asus A7v8x
IBM Deskstar (x2) GXP120 (120GB) + GXP180 (180GB)
Maxtor PCI running Maxtor 60GB HD
1.5GB PC2100 DDR (2xKingston 1xCrucial)
ATI Radeon 8500 128MB
Sound Bastard Audigy +MP3
Yamaha CRW-F1
Pioneer DVDR A04
etc,etc,etc.

At first I thought the problem was with a driver (truly, it is, but much more complicated) so I did the work around for it. Got another BSOD (Invaild Page Fault), so I did the MSDN workaround (more like reach around) for that. I got a different BSOD. So, I tried to isolate the problem until the only things installed was a mouse (PS2 not USB) a keyboard, monitor, and HD w/OS. More BSOD. Finally I installed XP ver. 2600 (original release no SP1) and what do you think happened then? No. This time it actually worked. No BSOD. Now, I have to tell you, I only got the BSOD when I would run programs that would really tax the system resources. I mostly got the BSOD's with Pulldown.exe (a DVD authoring tool) and UUdecoding while combing newsgroup posts.
If you have tried everything else, like I did, this is surely worth a try.
I wish I had my own page to tell people about this BullS**t, because it pissed me off for ever. Finally one night I just went in to a troubleshooting, pissed off frenzy untill it was fixed.

My problem seems to have gone away, all I had to do was move my modem so that it was on a differnt IRQ than my video card. Maybe I jsut got lucky

Trying ot fix this problem I got into a bigger one. I Opended ControlPanel=>System=>MyComputer, updated driver form ACPI Compliant to Standard PC. Then rebppded and disabled PnP and ACPI settings in BIOS. NOw my system displayed TWO COMPUTERS under MyComputer: one of them had an option to updated driver back to ACPI, the other did not.. I disabled the one with the update option, leaving only one Standard PC. That was a mistake! THe system refused to boot up even in the safe mode, and Last Known good Configuration does not work.

I tried booting up WITH and without ACPI & PnP in Bios:
ACPI enabled produces a system crash befroe booting up. With ACPI disabled in BIOS, the system sits idly, refusing to boot up.

Can anyone suggest how to Enable the damn thing again?

Well, fixed the problem for a bit, now I went to go test a game to see if it would work properly now and I got another blue screen saying DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL =\ im assuming this has to do with my Video driver? I already installed the latest drivers though??? any help?

sloth8817 - see thread779-457805
PC BSOD's and reboots while playing games...

I had it happen when I installed the latest printer drivers from HP. Go back an iteration if you can. Jennifer Sigman
STILL unemployed...

I think maybe this problem has to do with my moniter? you know when u set your resolution to high on your desktop and the screen gets are garbbled and distorted it likes that? could it be that my moniter will not support the games resolution??

I don't think the monitor itself would care much about the resolution... the video card would, since it's doing the work. Jennifer Sigman
STILL unemployed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back