Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, Stop 0X0A error 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponsonby

Technical User
Jun 10, 2005
US
On shutdown, I get the following error "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL STOP:0X0000000A (0X000002CC, 0X000000FF, 0X00000000, 0X804E35E9). Any clues as to how to define the problem and then fix it?

Computer is a SONY Vaio PCG-TR1A laptop, Windows XP Home, Using NAV2002, ZoneAlarm...

Troubleshooting a Stop 0x0000000A Error in Windows XP [Q314063]

Microsoft Windows XP - Stop 0x0000000A or IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

General troubleshooting.

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

Some other general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Shutdowns.

Try Safe Mode (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode?).

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

I can't tell you how to fix this problem (yet), but I can tell you exactly what causes it. It's the Adaptec UDF Reader which comes with Windows XP Professional Edition (and probably Home Edition as well).

My system was running fine under a fresh WinXP install, until I inserted a CD-RW disk into my Lite-On CD-RW drive. Because I hadn't yet installed any UDF-reading software, WinXP offered to install the "Adaptec UDF Reader" out of its driver/software cabs. I agreed to the install, then restarted my computer when prompted. Immediately after the install, I shut down -- and everything was fine, until I restarted, copied some files off a cd-rw disc, then shut down again. Then -- boom:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
STOP: 0x0000000a(0x000002cc,0x000000ff,0x00000000,0x804e35e9

The first time this happened to me, I wasn't entirely sure it was the UDF reader, because the problem kept happening after I uninstalled it. After uninstalling almost every driver and software package on the system, the issue persisted, so I decided to reformat and reinstall WinXP. Drastic, sure, but this was a fresh install anyway.

All was fine after the reformat/reinstall, until I again inserted a CD-RW disc. Windows again offered to install the Adaptec UDF Reader. I agreed. Shut down, all was fine. Rebooted, copied some files off the CD-RW disc, shut down, got the same exact stop-error.

So there it is. It's the Adaptec UDF Reader that comes pre-packaged with WinXP Pro. Now, does anyone know how to fix this problem once it occurs?

Okay, here's the fix. Ready? Cuz it's really hard.

Step 1:
Go to Add/Remove Programs.

Step 2:
Uninstall Adaptec UDF Reader.

Step 3:
Reboot.

That's it! Really!

Yeah, I know I said in my previous post that I'd uninstalled the UDF reader before I reformatted/reinstalled WinXP, and that the issue had persisted. I guess I was wrong. I must've left it alone, thinking, "Well, it's just a UDF reader..." Anyway, that's the fix. Hope it helps somebody.

digitalgoon,

A star. I am not certain it is member 'ponsoby' 's issue, but it seems at least plausible to me.

But certainly it is a possible fix for others.

Best,
Bill Castner

Thanks, Bill. Yeah, I'm sure there are other things that might cause that stop-error, but it is pretty coincidental that the hex addresses are exactly the same.

By the way, I found that Adaptec's UDF Reader version 5.1.2, available from download.com, works fine under XP. So, if anyone needs a free UDF reader that works under WinXP, I'd recommend that one. It reads all my CD-RW disks, most of which were written using DirectCD's packet-writing mode under Win98se.

Had spent hours trying to find a fix for this problem (which could have as easily been called "system restarts when shut down", which is what was going on b4 I adjusted the 'system restore' settings). Was down to another round of add/remove, the first in the list was 'adaptec udf reader', removed it, the machine went to the "irq_...", saw this thread, turned off the machine (with the button, of course), restarted, turned off again, ----VOILA!, problem gone.
Kudos to digitalgoon.

I have exactly this problem, and I know it was from installing the Adaptec software.

However, the problem persists even after I've followed DigitalGoon's suggestion. Subsequent to uninstalling the program I have searched my hard-drive for all references to Adaptec and removed them, but my computer still won't close down and gives me the "IRQL etc" message. Any thoughts of how this bug can still be in my system, and how I can zap it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back