Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IRQ Not Configured

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooda

IS-IT--Management
May 14, 2001
GB
Got a notebook that's hanging during POST after memory, BIOS, fixed disk, CD and mouse are passed, with message
[tt]ERROR Warning: IRQ not configured - PCI Mass Storage Controller on Motherboard Bus:00 Device:1F Function:01[/tt]
It invites you to resume but then hangs with blank screen, irrespective of boot device. Cannot see anything helpful in BIOS setup and have disabled everything non-essential.
Google found suggestions that this may be to do with the BIOS (Phoenix NoteBIOS 4.0) as it sets initial IRQs, but not sure if this is the case. Anyway there seems no way of fixing it except perhaps chip replacement, as flashing requires PC to be running. Can I tell if it's this or something else? Notebook is a Gateway MX6635b pentium running XP.

On the BIOS is there an option to reset to factory settings?

Unfortunately no, I had seen that this seemed to be a good option but cannot find any way of resetting the BIOS.

Realised that BIOS reset is only a keystroke, so have tried it. It reset things but did not clear or alter the problem.

With quiet boot set the error message does not appear before it hangs. Some more playing around has shown that if Internal LAN or Internal Modem are not disabled, again the error does not appear (after POST) but continues to blank the screen and hang.

I imagine we have a hardware fault, somewhere on the MB?

PCI Mass Storage Controller - is either the IDE CONTROLLER or the SATA CONTROLLER... if that has gone bad good bye...

you could try: look in the BIOS for the option PLUG-N-PLAY OS, and set it opposite to what it is set (either YES or NO)...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Turning Plug-N-Play off has had no effect on the problem. Looks as though it's goodbye motherboard.

Thanks, Ben and xwb, for your positive suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back