Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IRQ Conflicts in Win98

Status
Not open for further replies.

vagrant

Technical User
Mar 1, 2001
US
Hello,
I have a Video adapter, Modem, and NIC that insist on using IRQ 10 under WIN98. a: There are no jumpers on these cards, so I can't "adjust" them.
b: WIN98 won't let me change the IRQ in the control panel, only the memory resource.
c: WIN98 doesn't show conflicts, it just freezes occassionally, mostly during graphics applications.
d: This all started after the NIC was installed, life was good before that.

If anyone has some ideas, they would be greatly appreciated.

I had exacly the same problem once, in myt case it was a win-modem that caused the problem. Everyone wanted IRQ 10. The solution for me was to find a non PNP Networkcard that had a SETUP program, this let me change the IRQ of the card and end the conflict.

I hope this helps

Larry Hyman

Modems are very picky and it will never give up IRQ 10. Have you tried REMOVING the vid card and nic from Device Manager and letting win98 reinstall them?
Look in the Device Manager PROPERTIES for the vid and nic and uncheck USE AUTOMATIC SETTINGS. Experiment with other BASIC configs if you have any.
Unless you've got a "lot" of extra devices installed you shouldn't have a prob with IRQ shortage.
Good luck,
Don
--
The Free Technical Support Webring -

You may be able to reassing the IRQ in CMOS setup. When I installed a NIC it always placed on IRQ #10 with my video card and USB host controller wound up on IRQ #3. The system would hang on the Windows is shuting screen and could not self-boot or auto reboot. By BIOS is manufactured by American Megatrends (1995 version). I have 3 PCI slots and changed the IRQ priority setting for slot #2 (where the NIC card was) from AUTO to 3. The NIC card is now on IRQ #3 in my device manager.
Ross Oldham
vzn0613f@verizon.net

One other thing you might want to try is disabling PNP in the BIOS.

Alex

HI,

I found out this is the best solution...for example you have your computer and you open up your computer, check the cards where they are placed usually motherboard have 4 PCi slots, you can suffle them around....remember never put another PCI card next to the video card. That's one way...i found out by changing the order of the cards place in PCI slots, it sometimes changes the IRQs in the OS. You can also make IRQ 10 to Legacy in the BIOS. That way the cards will have to look for other IRQs. Sometimes this helps too. Also if the cards PCI or ISA? or is it all onboard?

I hope this helps.

Hui

Step 1: Turn off the computer.

Step 2: Open the case.

Step 3: Re-arrange the cards.

Step 4: Close the case.

Step 5: Enter BIOS setup after you turn on the computer.

Step 6: Disable PNP OS support, force ESCD update enable.
Save and reboot.

Step 7: After you reboot look for the ESCD update msg - after it's updated, reboot and go BACK into BIOS.

Step 8: Re-enable PNP OS support, update ESCD AGAIN. (btw, don't use PNP OS support if you're running Win2K and a SBLive product - they don't like it). Save and reboot again.

Step 9: After the box has been rebooted, and Windows loads, check your IRQ settings. IF the problem still exists, you can turn off PCI 2.1 support in Bios, which should further prevent the IRQ sharing. Finally, you can disable PNP support entirely and manually assign IRQ's to the slots. Be forewarned that this severely limits you and can be a rather trying task.

Step 10: If you STILL have the problem at this point, go to your garage, grab the largest hammer you can find...

Thanks to all that replied,
It took a combination of things to make this work, the most significant I believe was to increase the RAM from 32MB to 64MB. I still have everything trying to stuff itself in IRQ 10 (IRQ 9 is empty) I changed slots, changed cards, tried to reserve IRQ10, Tried turning off PCI steering, Tried uninstalling everything in win98 and reinstalling. I even tried to take a card that I know likes IRQ11 and installed it, it went to IRQ 10 also.
Again Thanks for the quick replies

I've found that if I start out with the Video card only, (I also installed the sound card with the Video card) let win9X install that, install the NIC or Modem, win9X will assign the next free IRQ then the last card. Worked for me on two different setups. (Some older NICs require a specific IRQ but newer ones I've found did not)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back