Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

irq conflict with vid card + soundcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverMana

Technical User
Apr 18, 2003
CA
Im trying to play Days of Defeat or Counter strike. Everytime i load the game, i can only stay in for like 2-5 min then my compu crash for no reason , screen go black and i need to reboot. If i check in my settings it say
irq conflict with vid card + soundcard.

I have a amd athlon xp +1600 and a gf3 ti200 as videocard.
Soundblaster live 5.1 as soundcard.

Do you guys have any idea how i can fix that problem?
Help would be appreciated.

try moving your sound card to another pci slot.. you definitly do not want it in slot 1 (the one right below the agp slot) Sometimes moving it will make it change irq congifuration

I did try that and it didnt work , they came back on the same irq. i dunno what to do no more.

Go into the BIOS and manually change the IRQ for one of them (sound card preferably). Usually it's a section called PCI/PnP Config or something like that. Sometimes you have to change the option to assign PCI slots "Auto" IRQ to "Manual". Post your findings.

-Volkoff007

This patch has a good chance of completely solving your problem if you have a VIA chipset on that mobo. It isn't so much an IRQ sharing problem as it is a latency problem with the PCI bus in BIOS. This affects the combination of VIA chipset/Creative Labs audio/nVidia display. Go here and download the latency patch. There is also a link for a utility to tell you what chipset you have onboard.

Or if you don't have a via chipset,go into bios and turn off irq for vga...winxp doesn't need it. Also might try turning off pnp os. that way system bios tells windows what irq's to assign to devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back