Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Irix 6.2 through cable modem/router

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrman

Technical User
Jan 3, 2003
US
Hello,i am new to SGI opperating systems and was wondering if someone could help me in getting my indy online through roadrunner.I am also behind a router if that helps.
I have read through the fourms and tried some of the sugustions but none have seamed to work.
I am able to ping the routers gateway.But am unable to get online(dns errors).If i try to ping yahoo(64.58.76.114)I get sendto: Network is unreachable.
Sorry if this has been covered before.
Any help would be great.
Thanks

You need to have all the information regarding your ISP and the ip settings you get. In particular you need the Gateway IP,DNS Servers, the subnet and the ip of your machine. If you are getting yours over DHCP which is more likely just set Irix to update over DHCP. Sometimes though it wont get the DNS servers so i suggest you find the addresses and put them manually in. You can either use System Manager or use man ifconfig.
What router are you using? Does the modem work if you dont use the router?

I have the same problem ..Have a router at 1992.168.1.100 and i can ping it fine however my netscape will timeout trying to get to any page . I try to set DNS settings but i do not have that optoon in system manager only can set router address it does not letme pick any dns setting primary secondary or ETC if possable i need a step by step for 6.3 running netscape.
PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back