Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IPv6 (6 to 4 tunnel) lab setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

skk391

Technical User
Mar 3, 2009
GB
Hello all, I am studing for my ICDN2 and have got to the IPv6 section. I am looking to set up a 6 to 4 tunnel for testing and to learn what the commands do. Does anyone know how to set this up and how to test that the ip packets are being encap'ed into ip v4 packets across the link between the end point routers. I can enter in the commands and get it to work (I think)but the logic is not clicking in my head. I interested in an debug commands that I can use to see what the packets are doing. Just thicking out loud- I could probadly use wireshark to see what happening?

I have 3 * 2503 routers 2 at end points and 1 running as a Frame Relay switch.Any idea anyone?

Many thanks as always.

Probably your best bet is to perform a debug ipv6 packet. Be aware though that when you debug packets and there is lots of traffic, your screen is going to fill up mighty quickly. Depending on where you are runnig the command it could give you some pretty good information.

As for the tunnels, please refer to the DOC-CD for the best information:

Personally I would be highly suprised if you got actual questions detailing the specific configugrations of an IPv6 tunnel on an ICND exam although I commend you for checking out it out with your own eyes. You can trully only beleive what you see.

By the way, I hate 6 to 4 tunnels. Automatic tunnels in IPv6 stink in my opinion. I prefer the manual variety of GRE or IPv6 over IP.

Thanks guys. I too believe that I probadly will not get a question on the exam about how to configure 6-4 tunnels. I just wanted to see how it work for my own knowledge. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back