Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

iptables like firewall for Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

grofaty

IS-IT--Management
Jan 16, 2003
SI
Hi,
I am used to iptables command line firewall for Linux. I have searched the web, but I can't find anything similar for Windows 2008. Is there any kind of iptables variant for Windows? I don't like Windows Firewall, because I like to have one config file that I can easily transfer from test computer to production computer without million clicks (like from GUI tools) and one simple mistake and problem appears.

The only think I have manage to find out is PktFilter but it is officially only for Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003 and the latest version was released at 2003 and it was beta version of program from: I have tested this on Windows XP, but if possible I would really like to have something that is not a dead project.
Thanks

Just run iptables on a Linux machine, as a front-end to your Windows network :) (y)

@TonHu, Windows machine is not in the separate network, so this solution is not appropriate for my environment.

Any other idea, software to manage firewall by command prompt?

You might want to look at

netsh firewall

for the command line. And with more recent versions of Windows, you can configure the firewall using Powershell.

@strongm, yes, I have already seen this "netsh firewall" command, but this command is for configuring Windows firewall. I don't want to use Windows firewall, because all sort of configurations appear in Windows firewall and many installation programs automatically add exceptions, but I want to have full control of firewall. This can only be done by using some special non-Windows firewall.

Any other idea?

Ah, well that's new information. Yopu originally stated "I don't like Windows Firewall, because I like to have one config file" - and in fact, since you are using Windows Server 2008 (or so I have to assume since you are posting in this forum), it is perfectly possible to have one config file for it:

netsh advfirewall export myconfig.cfg

However it is certainly true that applications can add their own rules. There are ways to stop this, but they are somewhat obscure.

>However it is certainly true that applications can add their own rules

Just to clarify: I mean applications running with administrative rights, not just any old application

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back