Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

iptables + gre + masquerade = doesn't work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichealC4

Programmer
Jun 26, 2003
I have a server that is is behind a GRE tunnel. This much works. I can get to the server with the GRE tunnel. What doesn't work is then a masquerade setup that works without the gre tunnel.

So this is what things look like:

GRE-->iptables-->server

^ Entry here ends at iptables
^ Entry here correctly ends at server

I can get to the final server through the iptables with my existing iptables setup. I can get to the iptables from the GRE tunnel. I can't get all the way through. Here are what my iptables look like:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport ' + $port + ' -j DNAT --to-destination ' + $ip + ':' + $port
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p udp --dport ' + $port + ' -j DNAT --to-destination ' + $ip + ':' + $port
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -j MASQUERADE

This works just fine as-is. I don't currently disallow any traffic, so protocol 47 isn't blocked.

I can't for the life of me figure out why this doesn't work with the GRE. Any ideas?

----------------------------
"Will work for bandwidth" - Thinkgeek T-shirt

Looks like spaces aren't respected:

GRE-->iptables-->server

^ Entry here ends at iptables
......^ Entry here correctly ends at server

----------------------------
"Will work for bandwidth" - Thinkgeek T-shirt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor